Director of Public Relations and Communication
Company: Queens University of Charlotte
Location: Charlotte, NC
Job Type: Full Time
Date Available: 2/1/2023
SUMMARY: The Director of Public Relations and Communication contributes to the university’s success by raising Queens University’s profile and brand prominence primarily through proactive and effective media relations, writing and other communication methods. This role develops and executes annual communication and public relations plans as well as communication project plans around specific initiatives. Initiatives may include projects that support the university and its academic units, elevating Queens’ reputation for academic excellence and positioning the university as a national leader and key contributor to the cultural and intellectual fabric of Charlotte. As part of the university’s integrated marketing team, the director will serve as Queens’ primary brand storyteller to identify, promote and optimize story opportunities across channels, from external media to the website, social media and magazine.
While some remote work is possible, there is a preference for in-office work at Queens University’s campus in Charlotte.
The director of Public Relations and Communication reports to the Assistant Vice President of Marketing and Communication. This position is exempt from provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is not eligible to earn overtime pay or compensatory time off for additional hours worked. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Increase local, regional, and national brand awareness for the university by designing and directing media strategy
- Establish and maintain media contacts with local, regional and national outlets
- Identify and proactively develop media pitches for university stories that will articulate our brand pillars and appeal to the media
- Respond to and manage all media inquiries
- Maintain all university media relations materials, such as comprehensive media policy, fact sheets, backgrounders, leadership bios, etc.
- Track and maintain clips and media coverage for analysis and benchmarking
- Manage flow (content, writing, approvals, and distribution) of news releases and event advisories
- Develop and execute communications public relations plans to maximize the university’s reach nationally while also articulating its impact within and around the Charlotte community
- Refine and execute a thought leadership initiative to position staff and faculty who are experts in their fields in the local, regional and national media
- Coordinate with the Athletics public information officer and other campus communicators to harness university resources in order to communicate campus initiatives effectively
- Examples of initiatives include but are not limited to: (1) social mobility initiatives such as the Charlotte Talent Initiative; (2) the university’s ongoing work in addressing and solving systemic inequity through profiling the work of centers such as the Center for Digital Equity; (3) sharing the commitment to holistic health and wellness through partnerships like the university’s partnership with Atrium Health; (4) investing in scholarship and philanthropy through increasing alumni engagement and participation; (5) expanding Queens reach through moving to NCAA Division I athletics; etc.
- Lead and execute an internal communication plan to share news with faculty, staff and students from the president and senior leadership
- Supervise and coach the Social Media and Public Relations Manager
Non-Essential Duties: Other duties and special projects may be assigned to meet department and/or university needs.
- Serve as part of the university’s integrated marketing team, aligning media and public relations goals with other key priorities such as enrollment campaigns
- Serve as a liaison and link between the integrated marketing team and the faculty to help tell their stories
- Report and write stories for the Queens magazine
- Build and maintain relationships with staff, faculty and academic deans
Experience, Knowledge & Skills Required
- Proven success in media relations with a fearless approach to finding and pitching impactful story ideas
- 5+ years of public relations experience including media relations and writing
- Outstanding internal and external communication skills with great attention to detail
- Must enjoy juggling multiple projects for multiple clients at any given time
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment under deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication, organization and leadership skills
- Proven expertise in follow-up and follow-through to complete projects both large and small in scope within established time frames
- Ability to think quickly and determine creative solutions to a variety of unexpected challenges
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office products
- Willingness to learn web content management and project management software
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or equivalent combination of education and experience.
How To Apply