Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy, a non-profit provider of civil legal assistance to low-income people in Charlotte NC area, seeks a communication professional to support its advocacy work and visibility.
The Advocacy Center is funded by contributions from individuals and law firms, the United Way of Central Carolinas, grants from federal, state, local government and private foundation and client fees but receives no Legal Services Corporation funds. More information about the Advocacy Center can be found at our website: www.CharlotteLegalAdvocacy.org.
The Communications Specialist reports to the Director of Development and Public Relations, works as a team with the Director, Development Specialist and Pro Bono and Volunteer Manager, and works closely with all program staff.
The Communication Specialist will:
· Build and maintain internal and external communications infrastructure and processes that amplify the Advocacy Center’s programs, legal work, advocacy, and brand;
· Develop and implement multi-faceted communications plan, including message development, website, advocacy, digital strategies, and social media, to educate, motivate and influence target audiences;
· Work with Director and program leadership to develop annual communication and marketing plans for programs, services and issues as prioritized by senior leadership;
· Guide program staff through the development of appropriate marketing and communication strategies and tactics;
· Respond quickly with developed or adapted advocacy and issue messages and materials as needed;
· Own the creation and execution of organization wide marketing and collateral materials;
· Develop and enforce consistent brand communication; and
· Develop a framework to track and measure success across campaigns and tactics.
Digital and Social Media
· Provide content and day-to-day management of website and social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn);
· Track and measure level of social media engagement and monitor trends;
· Create and manage distribution of digital marketing and communication including e-newsletter, action alerts, client directed information and education;
· Develop a framework to track and measure success; and
· Create and produce collateral materials and donor-centric communication including gift acknowledgement and campaign materials.
· Build and maintain relationships with local and regional media to increase awareness of the Advocacy Center and provide key support with media outreach;
· Prepare media pitch documents, press releases, articles, scripts, promotional materials and fact sheets for the Advocacy Center and its program areas;
· Monitor the Advocacy Center media mentions, track and log media queries, and manage media lists; and
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training or experience;
· Proficient in oral and written communications;
· Commitment to or experience working with low-income communities preferably at a non-profit or community-based organization within a multi-ethnic/multi-cultural environment preferred;
· Advanced computer skills including use of MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Adobe PDF professional, and Constant Contact or similar platform;
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment; and
· Ability to effectively collaborate with co-workers and clients in virtual, face to face and meeting settings.
· Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time and adapt priorities, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision;
· Excellent writing, editing and proof-reading skills, and detail-oriented;
· Demonstrated ability to be entrusted with sensitive information and conduct daily activities with the utmost professionalism and integrity;
· Commitment to and engagement with a variety of social and justice issues;
· Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team including staff, donors, volunteers, and attorneys;
· Remains calm under pressure;
· Self-starter with demonstrated good judgment, critical thinking, flexibility, resourcefulness, and creative problem-solving abilities;
· Experience with digital marketing platforms and social media content creation;
· Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects while maintaining a firm grasp of individual project details;
· Interest in implementing new systems and strategies to strengthen the organization;
· Experience in digital communications, social media campaigns, and CMS and web management helpful; and
· Experience and competency in photography, videography and video editing is a bonus.
· a detailed letter explaining your qualifications for and interest in this specific position and organization, in which you describe your qualifications for this program, experience with low-income individuals, and other relevant information;
· a resume;
· a writing sample;
· a portfolio of relevant communication work; and
· names and telephone numbers of three references;
Send materials to: Administrative Manager, Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 1431 Elizabeth Avenue, Charlotte, NC, 28204, email is preferred. Form letters and inquiries not containing this information will not be considered.
Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy is an equal opportunity employer.
Veterans, women, minorities, and disabled persons are encouraged to apply.