Director of Marketing and Communications
Company: Cannon School
Location: Concord, NC
Salary Range: Competetive
Job Type: Full Time
Date Available: 4/24/2023
The Director of Marketing and Communications, reporting to the Director of Advancement, is responsible for carrying out Cannon School’s communications program to present a positive and consistent image of the school to the Cannon community and public. The Director is also responsible for overseeing Cannon School’s strategic marketing initiatives including research, planning, creation of advertising and collateral, and constituent and demographic analysis. The Director has two direct reports, managing the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications and the Website Marketing Manager.
Primary Duties/Responsibilities of Position
- Ensure timely, error-free dissemination of key messages in internal and external school communications.
- Oversee and manage cost-effective, error-free production of publications and promotional materials, including semiannual magazine, annual report, and fund-raising materials.
- School’s primary writer and editor; author of school communications manual and style guide.
- Monitor Cannon’s editorial and graphic standards policies so that all publications carrying the Cannon School name and logo make a positive contribution to the school’s image and meet the high editorial standards expected of a high-quality educational institution.
- Serve as the primary contact for media personnel and manage local and national media coverage.
- Foster relationships with a range of media outlets to promote the school’s mission and noteworthy programs and achievements.
- Write and send press releases to appropriate media outlets.
- Perform communications audit of primary Cannon constituents including donors, parents, faculty, and alumni.
- Develop annual communications plan to ensure timely, error-free dissemination of school news and event information to constituents.
- Educate campus community on crisis communications and serve as crisis communications point person.
- Manage annual schedule and production of school e-mail newsletters, including Head of School communications.
- Oversee the school’s external and internal websites, as managed by the Website Marketing Manager, to ensure effective, state-of-the-art design and architecture and timely content production that supports key marketing messages.
- Help research and implement new technology to more effectively communicate enrollment marketing messaging to target audiences.
- Writes, edits, and proofs information/news placed on the public portions of the website and school portals and has the authority to approve or reject content proposals.
- Oversee the school’s enrollment marketing initiatives by working with the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications, Director of Advancement, and Director of Admission to plan the advertising schedule, determine key marketing messages for the school year, plan the enrollment marketing strategy, and ensure consistent messaging in marketing and branding initiatives.
- Oversee the school’s error-free implementation of enrollment marketing plan, social media channels, and annual photography schedule as managed by the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Conduct constituent research of parents, faculty/staff, donors, prospective families, and community influencers to determine strategic marketing practices and key brand attributes.
- Manage the selection of agency vendors for production of materials.
Position-Specific Competencies/Skills Required
- Possess excellent writing, editorial, computer, and communication skills.
- Must be a team player with a willingness to learn, take direction, work efficiently and accurately.
- Demonstrated management of staff.
- Constituent focused (able to work easily with parents, faculty/staff, donors, and students).
Experience and Education Required/Desired
- Bachelor’s degree in English, public relations, communications, or related field.
- Five to seven years experience in a communications or public relations position (nonprofit or education experience preferred)
How To Apply
Please email a resume to:
Todd Hartung, Director of Advancement