Covenant Presbyterian Church is a dynamic Christian community that
•Invites all people into a transformational experience of faith
•Boldly proclaims the gospel
•Bravely works toward a whole and just world
•Passionately nurtures discipleship
Covenant seeks a director of communications to articulate our mission.1. Oversee, manage, and develop ongoing and regular communications with members of all ages (13 to 113), partners, and guests locally, nationally, and abroad using all platforms
2. Provide communications support for Covenant ministries and leadership: education, congregational life, mission and outreach, worship and music
3. Create awareness for Covenant Presbyterian Church and its mission in the Charlotte community, invite people to worship, and nurture relationships with communications support
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and execute a holistic, strategic, and detailed annual communications plan based on Covenant’s mission and goals.
- Develop an internal process, including lead times, for initiating and prioritizing promotions and campaigns.
Brand and Platform Management
- Refine as needed the Covenant brand identity, positioning, key messages, brand standards, and guidelines. Guide and direct staff on appropriate brand and imagery usage.
- Engage with our audiences of all ages and stages to ensure a consistent communications experience from the online to offline world. (iPhone to parking lot to pew).
- Develop understanding of members, guests, and new members and tailor messaging to resonate. Understand current church participation trends and adapt messaging to make church communications comfortable and friendly for all.
- Audit, understand, and make recommendations (as needed) for Covenant’s marketing platforms to ensure best practices and use (email, social, website/CMS, Google/SEO, and other worship/congregation-specific platforms), including staff use.
- Lead, create or oversee creation of print, digital communications, and content using any and all mediums (email content, web content, blogging, social media, print media, videos, etc.) with a high standard of creativity, excellence, and effectiveness. This may include design, graphics, copywriting, and layout development.
- Oversee the use of technology including social media, paid search, and organic search to build an online presence and social awareness.
- Manage content and messaging on the website; implement SEO (paid and organic).
- Build and deliver reports that summarize campaign, web and social performance and utilize data driven recommendations for strategy adjustments.
- Funnel media inquiries as appropriate to senior minister.
- Manage and account for marketing and communications/department budget.
- Manage marketing timelines, scope, resources (staff and laypeople), and expectations.
- Be a self-starter with a player-coach mentality.
- Manage Communications staff, external suppliers, and volunteer(s).
Proven ability to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, including being able to comfortably give expression to a Christian faith journey.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5-8+ years of marketing industry experience (corporate, agency, or non-profit) with a grasp of digital landscape and technology
- Desire for continued education in marketing best practices and trends
- Ability to articulate Christian beliefs with an understanding of the Reformed Presbyterian tradition of faith will be a plus
- Demonstrated success working in collaborative team environments, establishing trust, credibility, and confidence.
- Excellent written and communications skills, including proofreading
- Excellent content building skills and experience
- Experience working with major search engine products and SEO tools (i.e. Google Analytics, Google Adwords, GTM, etc.)
- Knowledge of design, photo, and video editing software (i.e. Adobe Suite)
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of social media platforms
- Strong understanding of current online marketing concepts, strategy, best practices, and analytics
- Video production and photography skills would be a plus
- Ability to learn and use worship presentation software (such as ProPresenter) proficiently to edit worship visual presentations would be a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and other basic software
Bill Keith / Covenant Presbyterian Church / Charlotte, NC 28204