This communications and events specialist will contribute to the overall strategy and priorities of the Belk College of Business, primarily by developing internal and external communications materials for specific strategic areas of the Belk College, such as scripts, articles and profiles, copywriting, blog posts, and social media posts. This position will plan, organize, manage and execute strategic Belk College communications projects from research, planning, implementation and measurement.
This position is also responsible for the overall management of the Belk College social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram), providing recommendations for and guidance surrounding social media execution and best practices for team members and college leadership. The position monitors social media on a designated schedule and uses analytics tools to create dashboards, listening queries and regular reporting to measure and assess direction for future social media content.
This position also will work with the Executive Director of External Relations to plan and coordinate special events as assigned.
This position requires some knowledge of communications tools, including but not limited to: web content management system, e-newsletter software, social media management, InDesign, Photoshop and PowerPoint.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a major in a closely related field that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities needed in the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Essential Job Duties
This position will support communications and events for key priorities of the college, helping to raise awareness for its programs, faculty, and impact through strategic communications and events.
This position serves as the communications lead for Belk College Undergraduate Programs and for the Childress Klein Center for Real Estate, and is responsible for the overall management of the college’s social media accounts. The position also responds to emerging communications/events priorities of the Belk College as assigned.
– Develop communications materials for specific areas of the Belk College, depending on key external relations priorities.
– Seek, develop, and distribute original and solicited content, including message for letters, articles, blog posts, social posts, etc., for assigned areas using UNC Charlotte/Belk College External Relations strategy/key messaging and adhering to UNC Charlotte brand standards.
– Coordinate information for college priorities, including distribution of college materials to key stakeholders and public sharing for broad awareness including website posting.
– Contribute to fundraising and impact news about key priorities of the college.
– Develop stories to share with University Communications and to share with local/state/national media.
– Participate in University communications meetings and committees as assigned.
– Plan, organize, manage and execute communications projects and events related to key priorities from beginning to end, with support from the External Relations team and Director.
– Manage deadlines and project objectives, using detailed timelines/schedules, resource assignment and quality control measures.
– Work with creative partners (university, photographers, videographers, printers, etc.) as needed to produce high-quality communications.
– Implement communications plan, strategies and tactics in proactive manner to increase visibility for key priorities and programs of the Belk College.
– Plan, coordinate, and manage key messages of priority areas of the college.
– Work with communications ambassadors (students and alumni) to promote events and content of interest to students and alumni.
– Help coordinate and promote college signature events.
– Bring ideas and help coordinate social media campaigns for priority areas.
– Technical – Use technology tools, including but not limited to: Drupal web content management system, social media platforms, Dropbox, Google Drive, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite software.
– Produce and edit stories, videos and photos about the Belk College and/or work with multimedia specialists and photographers for strategic productions.
– Assist with website projects. Update assigned websites regularly, especially the homepages and key landing pages, and work with team members to make website improvements.
– Provide and maintain admissions materials about Belk College undergraduate programs. Update the Admissions brochure for Belk College regularly and manage printing.
– Help develop storyboards/scripts and video ideas.
– Work with Executive Director of External Relations on strategic or priority issues of the Belk College. Work with college leadership on key communications priorities.
– Work with supervisor to prioritize the expectations and goals of respective areas of responsibility.
– Serve as key communications liaison for priority areas as assigned.
– Serve as brand manager and ambassador of priority areas, helping to audit and manage key messages, images and materials.
– Develop communications materials, including digital, print and other materials, to encourage student enrollment, interest in programs, fundraising or event attendance.
– Recommend process and strategy improvements where possible.
– Professional – Source information about students and programs as assigned.
– Gather, write, produce, develop and share communications materials, including but not limited to Undergraduate Programs and Center materials.
– Update key messages and copy for online materials.
Other Work Responsibilities
Other duties as assigned.
Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Higher education experience is highly desirable.
Event planning and project management experience is preferred.
Social media work experience is desirable.
Web content management system experience is desirable.
Exceptional user-focused writing and editing skills, strong grammar and communication skills.
Ability to work independently and prioritize work while managing multiple deadlines.
Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, high degree of accuracy and ability to multitask.
Proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet applications, such as Google docs and Dropbox.
Ability and willingness to travel to various work and event locations.
This position requires some knowledge of communications tools, including but not limited to: web content management system, enewsletter software, social media management, InDesign, Photoshop and PowerPoint
Necessary Licenses or Certifications