Company: NC State University
Salary Range: $37,000 - $42,000
Job Type: Full Time
Date Available: 3/24/2021
The Wilson College of Textiles at NC State University is the only interdisciplinary textile college in the United States and the largest in the Western hemisphere. The Office of Marketing and Communications (OMC) seeks a communications specialist to help tell the Wilson story and increase awareness and understanding of the College mission: “to advance the success of our students, and the textile industry in North Carolina, the U.S. and around the world, through teaching innovation, research excellence, strong partnerships and service.” The OMC is currently staffed by a director, a part-time social media specialist, several contract writers and a student intern. Learn more about the Wilson College of Textiles here: https://textiles.ncsu.edu/
- The qualified candidate will be a key member of the OMC (Office of Marketing and Communications) team to help shape strategic marketing and communications through creative storytelling and content planning to promote the people, programs and outcomes of the Wilson College of Textiles. The communication specialist will be skilled in writing and editing content that aligns with NC State style, tone and brand guidelines for print and digital channels.
- Embracing the Wilson College culture, the specialist will value compassion, equity, collaboration, innovation and sustainability in meeting position duties and responsibilities as outlined below:
- Participate in communications and story content planning strategy sessions with the director to support undergraduate and graduate program marketing; diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives; student recruitment, success and retention; internal communications; faculty research and recognition; and alumni and donor engagement.
- Participate as a member of the college communications committee and work with multiple departments within the college to identify story ideas and refine messaging to reach target audiences.
- Serve as lead writer for internal and external communications, identifying stories and repurposing content across multiple channels to promote the Wilson College of Textiles vision, mission and values in support of its strategic plan (https://textiles.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/wilson-college-strategic-plan-2020-2023.pdf). This includes news and feature stories, website pages and digital content, marketing and advertising copy and other content as needed.
- Collaborate with staff and faculty to generate content ideas; schedule and conduct interviews; recommend photography, videography and art as required; edit stories; and coordinate and leverage website and social media applications in partnership with IT and University Communications colleagues.
- With director of the OMC, assist with development and production of internal communications e-newsletter and support existing/emerging external newsletters.
- Serve as liaison with social media specialist and other colleagues to leverage story reach via Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn and other channels as part of a robust social media and consumer/B2B strategy.
- Assist the director with story editing, website review/updates, marketing initiatives and strategic communications initiatives.
- Stay current with textile industry/higher education trends and assist director in elevating thought leadership communication opportunities for Wilson College senior leadership.
- Assist with special writing projects as required.
- Support the overall function of the OMC to raise awareness and understanding of the Wilson College and drive growth in undergraduate and graduate admissions, audience engagement and industry leadership
- Support special events and other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Other Required Qualifications
- Ability to work with high collegiality and in accordance with the Wilson College Culture Charter, and both collaboratively and enthusiastically, as part of a team to achieve organizational goals.
- Exceptional writing skills, knowledge and familiarity with AP style and grammar expertise.
- Creative and persuasive storytelling skills with demonstrated ability to write for a variety of digital and print channels.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Solid competency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to establish and maintain relationships with external and internal audiences.
- Effective project management to manage multiple assignments in deadline driven environment.
- Professional understanding of platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube and other emerging channels.
- Knowledge of Associated Press editorial style.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university preferably with a major in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or English or a directly related field.
- 3+ years of professional experience writing content across a variety of digital and print channels in a professional marketing/communications setting.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience with higher education culture and environment.
- Experience developing multimedia content.
- Familiarity with WordPress, social media platforms and writing with SEO principles.
How To Apply