The Communications Manager has primaryresponsibility for all organizational communications and branding, publicrelations, social media, content creation, and event support. This positionwill serve as a support role to the organization’s divisions as well as supportthe growth and effectiveness of the organization through the creation anddissemination of compelling messages, campaigns, and products. This positionwill manage individuals and teams as needed to achieve communication goals.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Content creation & management:
• Write, edit, and distribute clear and compellingarticles, newsletters, success stories, communication materials, scripts,surveys and other organization collateral both internally and externally
• Serve as executive editor of all print and onlinecommunications, including Charlotte Works’ website
• Develop effective, consistent, and relevantmessaging in support of Charlotte Works’ strategic plan, goals and priorities
• Create communication processes, tools, andtemplates designed to simplify and streamline communication activities,decrease delivery time, and improve effectiveness of communications and message
• Manage updated print/photo/video library oflanded and in-process clients and employers, case studies, organization events,board members, etc.
• Create, maintain and regularly update library ofstaff bios for use in media outreach and community engagements
Digital marketing and Social Media:
• Draft content, build awareness and promoteCharlotte Works using appropriate digital channels, including blogs and socialnetworking platforms
• Develop social media strategy and regularlyupdate appropriate social media platforms to engage with key audiences (e.g.Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.)
• Monitor all social media outlets: pages, sites,blogs and post/respond on particular topics or in response to otherpost/comments
• Use communication vehicles and online contentmanagement systems to disseminate and deliver messages and information
• Respond to stakeholder inquiries and comments onestablished channels in real time as necessary • Cross train other employees onelectronic and social marketing related functions
• Identify significant media and public policyissues that can be leveraged to support Charlotte Works mission, and create andimplement communication plans to address them
• Develop and execute a holistic media outreachstrategy
• Serve as lead point person on media interactionsthat promote and/or impact the organization
• Assist with briefing, speech-writing andpreparation of speeches and/or media appearances, for staff as needed
• Oversee organizational response to inquiriesabout Charlotte Works
Communications strategy and campaigns:
• Collaborate with Charlotte Works’ team members todevelop communications strategies that will broaden the organization’s reachand impact
• Develop and refine Charlotte Works “core”messages to ensure organizational consistency
• Provide counsel, support, and recommendations onstrategic communications for a variety of audiences
• Anticipate communication gaps with keystakeholders and partner with team members and key partners to resolve
• Under minimal supervision, oversee mix of smallto large-scale communication related projects, managing deliverables, budgets,timelines, teams, and vendors to ensure expected outcomes are delivered on timeand on budget
• Serve as creative consultant for major events
Development and executive support:
• Aid in the review of grant proposals and otherwritten projects as assigned
• Handles internal and external communicationresponses to crisis situations which affect organizational perception andreputation
Events and event planning:
• Help execute events by assisting with messaging,communication, and promotion
• Use measurement tools to provide reports onmetrics and continually find ways to improve on those metrics through testingnew initiatives.
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications,Public Relations or another related field
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
• 3–5 years’ experience managing communications orpublic relations experience developing, implementing and measuringcommunications plans and programs.
• Exceptional skills in writing, editing andcontent creation for various types of communications and media and candemonstrate this with experience and/or writing samples
• Excellent verbal communication and presentationskills
• Strong business acumen and the ability tostrategically interface with and influence key stakeholders
• Prior experience supporting multiple teams.
• Ability to organize and set clear expectationsfor tasks and deliverables.
• Extremely organized and detail oriented
• Experience using Constant Contact, Canva, AdobeCreative Suite, MS Office Suite and other related software