Company: Foundation For The Carolinas
Location: Charlotte, NC
Job Type: Full Time
Date Available: 10/8/2021
Read Charlotte is a community initiative that unites families, educators and community partners to improve children’s literacy from birth to third grade. Housed under the Foundation For The Carolinas, Read Charlotte does not operate programs, but rather coordinates and aligns people, resources and data to support proven practices and programs to reach our goal of doubling the percentage of third grade students reading at grade level in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) from 39% in 2015 to 80% by 2025.
Read Charlotte is expanding its marketing and communications capacity by adding a communications coordinator. This position will work closely with the Communications Manager assisting with building and executing multi-channel marketing strategies and campaigns designed to promote resources to the public, support community & school partnerships and bolster fundraising efforts. The ideal candidate is a hands-on communications professional willing to help with any and every task to support online and offline efforts, including email marketing, content marketing, outdoor advertising, social media, annual reports, blog writing, and more. Being adaptable, personable, having a strong attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and public relations experience (including media pitching and coordinating media appearances) are critical success factors in this role. Video shooting/editing skills or graphic design experience a plus.
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Communications Manager and is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Website and Social Media Content
- Develop new content and maintain website. Write new stories, create new pages, and solicit updates from members of the Read Charlotte team and community partners.
- Assist with writing newsletters based on a calendar developed by the Communications Manager.
- Work with website design vendors to implement design changes to the website.
- With the Communications Manager, execute social media strategy for Read Charlotte
Marketing and Communications Publications
- Assist the Communications Manager in writing content for key organization publications including:
- Email newsletters
- Annual and Quarterly Reports
- Brochures, fact sheets, etc.
- Conduct frequent partner interviews to be used for newsletters, direct mail, website, press conferences, etc.
- Maintain Read Charlotte’s photo library by taking photos, seeking pro bono photography, or contracting with paid photographers, to capture our work and the work of our partner organizations.
- Develop video content for use on the website and in social media.
- Design ads, flyers, banners, brochures, fact sheets, event signage, invitations, etc. as needed.
- Assist with distribution of marketing and communications collateral to community partners as needed.
- With the Communications Manager, develop public relations strategies for Read Charlotte events and announcements as needed.
- Write press releases and send them to appropriate press outlets as needed.
- Maintain press list with accurate contact information.
- Assist in analyzing and reporting impact of communications on organizational success.
Familiarity with specific tools/programs/sites:
- Google Analytics
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Canva and/or other design programs
- Mass printing order management (through online and local companies)
- Microsoft Office and Google products
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the position. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications or related field.
- One to three years professional experience in a communications-related role.
- Proven track record and a career history that demonstrates the ability to succeed in complex operating environments with multiple constituencies.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills and experience managing “up” and “across.”
- Practice the highest level of honesty, integrity and discretion.
- Have strong problem solving, analytical, and people skills.
- Good decision-making ability and comfortable taking direction from others.
- Flexible, creative, and have the ability to work independently or collaboratively.
- Self-motivator with high energy and professional mannerism.
- Highly focused and results-oriented in a fast-paced, deadline-driven operations; ability to multi-task and adjust focus to a constantly evolving environment.
- Extremely detail oriented and relentlessly focused on execution.
- Can see the forest and the trees.
- Do not confuse activity with accomplishment.
- Continuously want to get better at whatever you do.
- General ability to perform the essential functions and overall physical and mental requirements of this position, including stamina to perform tasks over extended periods and ability to occasionally move about to accomplish tasks or move from one worksite and/or workstation to another
Note: The role is in Charlotte, NC. While we are temporarily working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, the position will require in-person presence in Charlotte. In addition, proof of fully authorized vaccinated Covid-19 status is required (or FFTC authorized religious or disability accommodation).
How To Apply
Please visit our careers page at https://www.fftc.org/careers and submit an online application form, along with your resume and cover letter.